Forever is composed of NOWS! - Emily Dickinson

Monday, November 15, 2010

My inspirational thought for the day

I hate the 7th of November. Hate it, Hate it, Hate it. Every year when that date gets close, I feel my body tense up and my anxiety rise. I even hate the next day or two after it's over. 10 years ago my dad died on that day, unexpectedly.

Well, this year was the 10 year anniversary. I remember the week we had my dad's funeral, Jordan's grandma Larsen told me "just hang in there Holly, the Lord will bless you." But truly I was sure she had no idea what she was talking about.

So, on November 7th of this year, it was a gloomy Sunday day. I was sitting outside in the front yard feeling sorry for my self, all the children I had that my father never met. His other wonderful grandchildren he had never met. I was basically bummed. I realized I had not checked the mail from the day before, so I shuffled to the mailbox.

In it, there was an announcement from my brother Kurt and his wife, Megan. They have recently adopted one of my neices named Heather, who is eight. They had her adopted and sealed all on the same day and sent an announcement of the day with pictures of Heather, as well as them all together as a family with their other two wonderful girls, Lexi and Lauren. It warmed my heart to see something so meant to be on such a gloom day.

I brought the announcement in to hang it on the fridge. But atlas, there was NO WHERE to put it! Within the last 10 years I have been blessed with four children of my own. I had photos of them on the fridge, academic excellence awards on my fridge, drawn pictures from them telling me how much they loved me on my fridge, and of course, a perfectly drawn picture of a storm trooper from Peyton, on my frige. My fridge was so filled up with good news, where could I put it??? All of this fridge filling-up was from events that happened within the last 10 years.

And the thought occurred to me, "Holly, you have been blessed these last 10 years, just like Grandma Larsen told you you would. "

I carefully selected the least important of my treasures to take down, and replace with this new one, all on November 7th.

The Lord is always blessing us, if we just look.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

What a beautiful & sweet message -

Lindsey and Tommy said...

Holly... thanks for this message! I love seeing all the pics of your Dad on the sidebar of your blog! Miss you!! And thinkin' about you at this time!

heidi said...

really great message. i will need to read it again on the next fourth of july. that day will never be the same to me.